[Suggestion] Remove unreasonable AI cores.

The place for ideas and feedback for all things community related.

Moderators: Game Moderators, Game Administrator, Developer

Remove reference or physically unreasonable cores?

Poll ended at Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:31 pm

Remove the 'Boxfort'
24%
Remove 'Honk'
10%
Remove 'Yes Man'
10%
Remove 'Doctor'
7%
Remove 'Gentoo'
12%
Remove 'Xenomorph'
17%
Remove human bodies ('Integration' and 'Mechanicus')
7%
Abstain
2%
Don't remove any.
10%

Total votes: 41
cadavre

Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:31 pm

Specifically, I would like to request we remove 'Boxfort', 'Xenomorph, and 'Yes Man'. I would also propose 'Honk', 'Gentoo', and 'Doctor' being removed, but I doubt they will be.

To begin with -

This is a joke. This is very literally just a box fort with a clown and a corgi in it - which feels like /tg/ or /vg/ memes leaking into Polaris.

This is a Xenomorph. I will not explain further.

This is Yes Man. This is very literally a Fallout character. I'm not certain, but I don't know if I'd be stopped if I joined as Benny Bankers, the checkered-suit mob boss.

'Doctor' is the same except this is Mr. House; this name isn't quite a direct and literal reference so I doubt I'd see it out.

'Honk' is another clown. I include this only because of my burning hatred for clowns.

This one references BYOND itself, which feels a bit meta, and the 'null laws' doesn't sound right either. I don't care as much about this one.

There's also the two Human Body ones, but I've no personal qualms to raise there.

I offer these ones rule of cool.

My whole issue lies on this point; can I join and start talking about Xenomorphs, Clowns, Yes Man and Dr. House from New Vegas, and how much the BYOND engine sucks all in character? If so, this server has some major issues. If not, I don't see why all of the above should have in-character references.

Mechoid

Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:57 pm

Boxfort and Xenomorph both are never used and are questionable directly to myself. If we want a corgi core sprite it should be in the display-manner most others are. Yes-Man I plan to recolor and name-change so it's not a direct reference, Honk is.. just there, I don't see a need to touch it. Gentoo, I'm not certain if anyone ever uses it either, though if no one wants it kept I will likely pull the plug on it as well as it's a bit too far meta with the BYOND reference. I was given a better idea for editing it.

The two human body ones I don't mind, still using my 'It's very likely a hologram' excuse, because I am a sci-fi sellout.

I need to look through the list and see other direct-name-references exist to rename them as well.

cadavre

Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:12 pm

I know 'Xerxes' is another direct name reference.
Honk I mainly despise due to my overall qualms with clowns.
If Yes-Man and Gentoo are changed, I've no issues with them.

aimlessAnalyst

Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:39 am

I personally use Mechanicus for Teinei, and would rather not see it removed. Boxfort and Gentoo are really the only ones I dislike.

elgeonmb

Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:03 pm

yes you can talk about clowns in character

Mechoid

Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:47 pm

I have a PR here: https://github.com/PolarisSS13/Polaris/pull/5933

And here is the explanation for it:
SpoilerShow
Tweaks:

* AI sprites now all properly use -crash for dead icons, rather than _dead for some of them.
* Direct name references have been changed.
Xerxes - > Ahasuerus, the title of the king of Persia
Gygas - > bloodylove, code wise. Already called 'Love' in-game.
Yes Man - > Eager
House - > sheltered, Already called 'Doctor' in-game.
* Yes Man sprite changed to blue, rather than yellow. Number of icons made useful by adding slight noise.
* BYOND icon removed from new version of Gentoo. Null.laws stayed because it's a generic code joke regarding a runtime.

Additions

* Bored AI core sprite, based on 'Eager'.

Removal

* Xenomorph sprite is no longer accessible.
* Boxfort sprite is no longer accessible.
Both sprites still exist in-DMI, however their datums have been commented out.

• Information