Nerezza - Promethean

Nerezza

Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:19 pm

BYOND Key: Nerezza

Species you want to apply for: Promethean

Name of Characters In-game: Eshi Seenachi, Chiyoko Kita, Vincent Powers

How long you've been playing Polaris: Good question! I can't even really remember anymore, and my long breaks from SS13 don't help. I can say that I'd originally migrated from Bay12 (after a long time playing there) to Polaris not long after the latter's creation though!

Some example names of the species: As a young species not originally created as 'property' like positronics, no true naming convention was invented for them. Instead their creators normally bestow their name upon them, though they could also change their name to match their caretaker's or they could even choose one them self if they feel an affinity to it.

As such valid names could be something plain like "John Smith", something exotic like "Yuki Yoshida", or something odd like "Lililac"

Summarise what you know about the species:

Prometheans gained their name from the NRS Prometheus, where the first were created.

Prometheans have a large variety of personalities. The 'parent slime' type (color) tends to contribute an instinctual base personality (nature) and their experiences/mimicry as they grow older (nurture) builds atop that. Almost all Prometheans exhibit curiosity and willingness to learn, though, aided by their instinctual mimicry.

They're just as intelligent as other races, but thanks to their mimicry they're notably faster studies for subjects and tasks where they can observe another. They struggle with abstract subjects though, finding difficulty comprehending things like philosophy and psychiatry (Plato's cave is so so so dark for them).

Physically, Prometheans can be described just about the same as the slimes they were created from. Their bodies universally feature a core that is not yet understood, and a Promethean lacking said core is a dead Promethean. The core is believed to primarily contain genetic information of the Promethean.

Aside from the (relatively) easily-observable core, Prometheans have two more notable organs. The first is the outer layer of their gelatinous body (the epidermis) which serves as a protective skin, keeping unwanted elements outside of the body yet allowing the absorption of desired materials (food!). Water is a notable exception, and is harmful to the outer layer itself.

The second notable organ is a skeletal structure that dictates the overall shape of the Promethean. It's formed by a denser gelatinous fluid inside their bodies and though it can be reshaped at will just like the rest of a Promethean's body, doing so requires considerable effort on their part.

Prometheans vary in color particularly because they can change color, but subconsciously they settle on a color that suits their personality and current mood. This means their color will commonly change to match their mood, but they can also intentionally change color so long as they expend conscious effort to override their subconscious.

Prometheans eat just about anything so long as it doesn't contain significant amounts of water. Their body dissolves nutrients rapidly, and those stored nutrients are used to sustain their form and can be expended to rapidly regenerate from harm.

I'd talk about burn/brute, and how they can regenerate in more detail here but that'd just re-summarize the mechanics stuff and I've used up a lot of space already. Instead I'll just note that Radiation damage is notable because it'll pretty much just cause their body to glow as the radiation is expelled as safe photons (I guess? o3o;)

Prometheans don't have any form of culture, however they tend to mimic cultures of other species.

Prometheans are currently in a precarious political situation. As a new species, they're not fully understood and viewed as suspicious or dangerous by a number of xeniphobic human factions, and almost the entire Skrell population (meanwhile the Vox are just happy to have a new delicious form of dessert.) Recent events where Prometheans held a vital role in a corporate coup is on the verge of sparking open conflict between the human factions, the outcome of which could potentially affect the livelihood (and lives) of all Prometheans already in existence.

Lastly, Prometheans were finally authorized for creation about 15/16 years ago (discrepancy on the wiki page), meaning the oldest Prometheans in existence aside from the originals would be 15/16. Thanks to their mimicry though, they rapidly absorb most job-related knowledge and can fill job positions after only a relatively (measured in months for civilian position and years for non-civilian (ie, engineering and science) positions? The study time isn't explicitly stated anywhere) short period of study.

Why do you want to play this species?: Not to be an OP explorer, promise! o3od

At first I wasn't interested, but the enthusiastically curious playstyle began appealing to me and I also began recalling that on the Northern Star my Teshari ended up the target of a couple hate crimes (poor birb, shot in the chest by a disgruntled janitor :< ) and the current lore status putting Prometheans in the center of much xenophobia could lead to similar "shenanigans". Not to mention they're cheap labor, doing the job you could be doing just as well except for significantly less than even a Teshari AND they don't really need medical insurance. Who wouldn't love that? :^)

Anything else you wish to add: Promethean lore seems to be steadily developing, but I haven't been able to locate a good source of recent information (aside from the news articles). For example, the water weakness is something I know from recent PRs only and if there's information about it anywhere else then it's not easy to find. It's not too bad of an issue since, again, they're still developing, but I'm still worried about inconsistencies with current lore and article lore o3o;

Mechoid

Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:23 pm

Mechano-Lore things are being developed over time, indeed, so there's no fault in missing tiny things. (Late 2546, Early 2547, may be the origin of the wiki discrepancy.)
I swear I'll make an official color chart eventually for the wiki but I'm shit at graphics design. https://puu.sh/zzYAo/2d4022fdda.png
You seem to have the current situation and lore down well enough, that I actually can't think of any questions. Barring acts of Khold or other staff, you have my +1.

Nerezza

Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:43 am

Mechoid wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:23 pm
Mechano-Lore things are being developed over time, indeed, so there's no fault in missing tiny things. (Late 2546, Early 2547, may be the origin of the wiki discrepancy.)
I swear I'll make an official color chart eventually for the wiki but I'm shit at graphics design. https://puu.sh/zzYAo/2d4022fdda.png
You seem to have the current situation and lore down well enough, that I actually can't think of any questions. Barring acts of Khold or other staff, you have my +1.
The Late 2546 part was actually confirmed to be the correct one in Discord, but I forget by who. Also I understand the fluid nature of the race (no pun intended ;3) fluff since all of them can be fairly fluid, especially when they're so young. I... actually can't recall what made me throw that tidbit in, aside from the template providing me the space to do so.

Edit: Oh, now I remember. I had peeked at another person's application and there was a question about what the biggest mistake handlers tend to make (that they treat the promethean like a child.)

I couldn't find any information about that anywhere so I assumed it was information left off their lore page. :/

Mechoid

Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:21 am

AH. Yes, sorry, that was due to a common mistake / meme of people saying that 'All prommies are children' around the time due to wording I can't really find alternatives to, being mistaken. (Legal Guardian, individual responsible for the Promethean's actions, but not exactly a 'Parent'.). But if that's understood, I maintain my +1.

Kholdstare34

Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:29 pm

+1 from me as well!

• Information