[Discussion] Anti-materiel Rifle Ammo

Moderators: Game Moderators, Game Administrator, Developer

Woodrat

Tue May 30, 2017 6:14 pm

There's been a few ideas how to handle the anti-materiel rifle and the ammo for it specifically. Quite often the weapon is not bought by traitors simply because it is quite expensive for the single and only round one is able to get with it.

Currently there’s a pull request for allowing the ammo for it to be hacked from autolathes. This has met with resistance for somewhat obvious reasons.

Other ideas include:

Outright removal of the Anti-material rifle from the uplink. Potentially replacing it with the energy sniper rifle.

Reducing the cost of the AM rifle so a single box of ammo can be purchased with it.

Or alternatively leaving the cost the same but have a box of (eight?) rounds come included with the purchase.

Anyways, discuss.

Fek

Tue May 30, 2017 7:13 pm

I think keep it the wayy it is, for that one time you REALY want to snipe that one annoying officer/engineer/etc, and keep it for the merc teams who can buy it and ammo.
Outright removal of the Anti-material rifle from the uplink. Potentially replacing it with the energy sniper rifle.
Why not have both? More options = better.

Mangled

Tue May 30, 2017 10:44 pm

I'm for either lowering of price or one of the other options that increase the amount of shots available. Dosen't matter to me if thats by hacked lathe, bullets coming with it or being able to afford more bullets after buying the gun itself.

Or maybe lets be crazy and have the every money costing giant non concealable cannon literally unable to miss with its one shot. Either or works for me, point here is making it actually useful be that by giving baddies more chances to actually hit something with the thing or just have its one shot not miss unless its by user error and not RNG throwing a hissyfit. On a semi related note RNG missing can probably do with taking a long walk off a short pier but thats something for another time.

ZekeSulastin

Wed May 31, 2017 3:06 am

I'm not a fan of either sniper rifle existing period, and making AMR ammo trivial to attain does not help that at all. *shrug*

Mechoid

Wed May 31, 2017 8:02 am

I am of the belief that if the gun is acquireable, by any means of non-admins, its ammo should be produceable by autolathe, orderable from a hacked cargo console, or producable by protolathe. For the AMR's ammo, at a higher cost per single shot, obviously. Removing things from the game, or from access by players is generally bad, in my opinion, since it's just removing another option of action. ( I would also push for the energy rifle to be included in the uplink alongside it, but not as a replacement, for above reasoning. )

LorenLuke

Wed May 31, 2017 9:08 am

Mangled wrote:
Tue May 30, 2017 10:44 pm
Or maybe lets be crazy and have the every money costing giant non concealable cannon literally unable to miss with its one shot.
This... IIRC the limb-splattering stuff has been nerfed to hell, so it doesn't pop heads anymore, and having your ONE shot get eaten by a non-flipped table near the person because RNG says 'fuck yo' shit' is not fun because guess what? You have no more telecrystals YAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Really though, a couple things that can be done 1) make it assembleable from component parts that can fit in a briefcase for supa-spy stealthness... 2) buff the accuracy or something, 3) Give it more ammo at start/reduce cost (I still maintain 2 box mags of 4 rounds each, which is equivalent to the 1 round + 1 box of bullets as is now.

Anewbe

Wed May 31, 2017 11:31 pm

Not really a fan of the AMR, so I wouldn't mind seeing it gone. Either way, the box of ammo is far to cheap currently, so if we do keep the AMR that needs to be upped in cost.

Mangled

Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:05 pm

Unless something changed the price of the ammo box dosen't matter at all right now because if you if you but it you wont be able to get the rifle anyway so who cares?

Kaed

Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:56 pm

I'm not sure what the beef is with this sniper rifle. Even ignoring that it's not very good, because mechanically speaking, a lot of things are placed everywhere that can block it (there are a lot more reinforced walls than people seem to realize, and every machine and impassible object pretty much can absorb it too), and from what I hear on this thread, even it's damage has been nerfed somewhat.

So I am left to wonder why not only do people think it should be removed, but some people want it removed or actually think it needs to be MORE expensive to get ammo for it. I'm going to tenuously chalk it up to this server's high level 'antags can go fuck themselves' mentality. Perhaps you feel it's incredibly upsetting and unfair to be shot by someone you can't even see or retaliate against. In counterpoint to this, welcome to why actual snipers are terrifying in real life. If you want this game to be a safe zone, why even do antagonists?

I personally would like to see the rifile used more. It's frankly pointless to get it outside of a round where active antagonist TC pooling exists, such as the nuke ops/mercenary round type, due to the one bullet limitation. Making the bullets in a hacked autolathe isn't actually as big an issue as you seem to think. The sniper rifle is huge and obvious, and cannot be concealed. Overuse of it WILL result in you getting caught, and you can't see people coming at you from all directions at the same time to shoot them - the ammo you have is largely a non-issue.

Mangled

Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:06 am

Oh it still does 80 brute but otherwise couldn't agree more.

Only things that were changed about its damage is its less likely to gib your head off brains and all. But still 80 brute to the noggin is probably going to kill someone unless they get shot in front of a doctor.

• Information