Daaneesh Moderator Application

Place to apply for Game Moderator and Developer roles.
Daaneesh

Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:43 am

Moderator Application

Byond Key - Daaneesh

Age - 31

Time range(including time zone) - EST but I typically play from about 9pm(EST) to 4am(EST)

Character Name(s) - Most commonly; Jaynie Laurenzi, Prosper Carr, and Tabitha Walker. Least commonly; Jodie Carter and River Harris

How long have you played SS13 - Since April 2012

How long have you played on Polaris - Since March

Any previous moderating experience? - Yes. I started as a Moderator on BS12 in 2013, then went on to be an Administrator and eventually I was a Senior Administrator who was in charge of all staff-related things.

What are your strengths - Well I love being apart of a team like the one here. I'm pretty easy to get along with, I'm always up for talking to people for anything really.

I have a few years experience as staff under my belt which has given me a bit of a boost on knowing what to expect as a staff member. I'm always opened to trying out new ideas and I try to look at the brighter side of grim times.

What are your weaknesses - I think my biggest weaknesses is that I miss people talking to me occasionally on discord or on the server, and often will get messages, get distracted, then forget I get a message.

What would you consider the biggest strength of the server, how could we keep maintaining that strength? - I would say the biggest strengths of Polaris are that it's so opened and friendly. The moment I started playing here, I felt a family-like environment where everyone supports one another and while we may tease and even have tiffs here and there, overall it's a really nice place to be in.

What’s the biggest problem with the server right now, and what would you do to help resolve it? - Currently, I think it's the amount of active players (and in turn staff.). There are times I'll see 15 people on, but for the majority there's about 5 or so that are playing.
How I would resolve it is by putting together a small group of individuals to go out and help bring in more players. I have an idea for a committee to get together and to not only welcome players, but to try and have ways on bringing new players into the community so our awesomeness can grow.

Answer the following scenarios and how you would deal with them to the best of your ability -
  • An adminhelp comes in claiming a player is a potential griefer. Said player also happens to be a traitor.
I would bwoink the player that adminhelped and state to them that it is being looked into or being handled... Depending on the severity of the situation, I might keep an eye on the 'griefer'/traitor or bwoink them, but most of the time if the player being complained about it a traitor then there really is no need for staff involvement.
  • A player is upset in deadchat about another player's reaction to something they did, but they are clearly in the wrong. How would you handle this?
Talking in Dsay about things that happened in the round isn't typically wrong. Everyone vents, and as along as it doesn't get out of hand (actually insulting or gets carried out to OOC or something to that affect) then there's not much wrong with letting the player vent--
However; If things do get out of hand, then I would poke them and try to talk to them about what had happened. I wouldn't point out that they were in the wrong exactly, but I would try and show them other ways they could have done what they had.
If an occasion rises up where a player is in too bad a mood to talk with, I would tell them that they should go and cool off for a few minutes, then come back and talk to me or another staff member when they feel calmer.
  • When interviewing several players, one is lying but you cannot tell who it is. How would you proceed?
I would dive through the logs, find out the truth on what had happened and proceed from there.
Depending on what happened, it might result in a slap on the wrist and a nono note to their player notes, or it might end in me asking an admin for advise on if the player needs to take a vacation (a day or so ban) from the server.

Can you attend bimonthly staff meetings on teamspeak?- (Generally on Sundays at around 5pm EST) Most of the time, yes.

Preferred means of contact - (Teamspeak, Discord, IRC) I am open on Teamspeak and Discord.

Anything Else You Want to Add -
I genuniely love this community and I am really happy to be apart of it. The staff and players are easy to talk with and the community as a whole seem to really just want to have a good time.

Chitter

Asillyn00b

Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:49 am

Right, I realize I haven't played here in a long time but I still occasionally take part of the community here and especially more so as of late. To have her on the mod team especially considering recent events would be downright insulting considering the things she's said in the past. Three years ago she said some vile and racist shit to me in Baystation and doubled down on it at the time, I found out last month that she acts as if she was innocent in all that a few months ago and I wouldn't be surprised if she still holds racist views.

https://forums.baystation12.net/threads ... ster.4792/

https://i.imgur.com/z5sWM7L.png

https://i.imgur.com/9oFULpu.png

Although I don't play here I still think Polaris is one of the last bastions of acceptance and sanity in SS13 and it should stay that way, I'd like this place not to become like many other servers that are fine with various racists and x-phobes among their regular base.

Daaneesh

Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:37 am

Asillyn00b wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:49 am
Right, I realize I haven't played here in a long time but I still occasionally take part of the community here and especially more so as of late. To have her on the mod team especially considering recent events would be downright insulting considering the things she's said in the past. Three years ago she said some vile and racist shit to me in Baystation and doubled down on it at the time, I found out last month that she acts as if she was innocent in all that a few months ago and I wouldn't be surprised if she still holds racist views.

https://forums.baystation12.net/threads ... ster.4792/

https://i.imgur.com/z5sWM7L.png

https://i.imgur.com/9oFULpu.png

Although I don't play here I still think Polaris is one of the last bastions of acceptance and sanity in SS13 and it should stay that way, I'd like this place not to become like many other servers that are fine with various racists and x-phobes among their regular base.
You're right in being concerned given the context of that particular day and the complaint against me for this was valid. I know it may sound like an excuse to you but I did have quite a bit going on in both my personal and my staff life at that time.

I had apologized to you for what had happened, and I know it's not something easily forgiven but I once more would like to reach out and offer my sincere apology for what had happened then. I had taken a bad situation and made it drastically worse, that was something that was 100% on me and no one else is at fault for that. I truly am sorry for causing you grief from this and I really do hope that with time you can come to forgive me.

Asillyn00b

Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:54 am

The main point of contention here is the topic was brought up to you with context and everything 2-3 months ago, your actions then were not to apologize for your racism but rather apologize for your memory being hazy and asking to move past it. To me this shows you learned nothing and were only sorry you got caught, actions that I personally find unbefitting for someone in a moderator/admin position as you are attempting to do so now. I would believe you if you had apologized then and said you were a different person but I do not given the things you said those couple months ago. I sincerely hope you are not given the moderation position due to lack of character.

schnayy

Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:04 am

The concerns voiced here have been heard and acknowledged and will be taken into account. We will be locking the thread, but if any NEW concerns are had, please send them to Rand0 on discord.

Woodrat

Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:06 am

Application withdrawn by request of the applicant.

• Information