Moderator Applications – Open
Developer Applications - Open
Lore Staff - Open
Please read this thread in its entirety before applying, as there is important information in this thread.
Positions that can be applied for:
- Moderator: Staff that enforce community rules on the discord and server itself. Answer player questions and assist new players. Application below.
- Developer: Those who code things for the server and review other code before it is implemented. See below.
- Lore Staff: The folks who come up with the setting and such in which this all takes place in. Application process is usually an informal contact message with one of the lore staff and senior staff.
- Administrator: Moderators with extra fun buttons and more responsibility. Promoted on a case by case basis from within the moderator ranks from candidates we feel we can trust to have extra fun buttons and responsibility on top of moderator duties.
- Event Manager: Staff who run events on the server. Selected by senior staff from people in the community. Heavily regulated and monitored, as this has all of the fun buttons like administrator, but none of the server policy enforcement.
- Be active in the community. Staff applications are heavily dependent on the staff knowing who the applicant is. For moderator applications in particular this is important as they require a majority (roughly 80%) of Polaris staff to vote in favor of the candidate for the final phase of the trial moderator process.
- Attached to the above, it is also highly recommended that potential applicants play on the server and be active in the community for a couple months before applying. That way we as staff can get an accurate judge of one’s character and the applicant can gauge on whether or not this community is a good fit for them.
- Keep a clean record for at least three months. We all make mistakes, and occasionally trip up. But recent negative notes will color any application. On the flip side, positive notes noting good roleplay or player can work in one’s favor on their application. Obviously, this also means that if an applicant is banned from the community that their application is automatically rejected.
It usually takes a week or two to process moderator applications. Applicants have to go through two votes before they are accepted as full moderators. The first vote is to be qualified to become a trial moderator. The trial moderator phase lasts at a minimum of a month before the second vote is held at the end of the trial phase. The second phase is as stated above, requiring an eighty percent majority vote by staff before an applicant is approved. During the trial phase candidates will be evaluated on (but not limited to) the following.
- - Communication and tolerance. Basically, their ability to make their point clear and concise while also trying to listen and understand what is being related to them. The ability to see things from other perspectives, while also dealing with players that may be not at their best and or malicious. We do not necessarily want staff that are hot tempered, we have enough of those already.
- - Judgement Calls. Ability to make proper judgement calls in unique situations. Discussing with other staff on at a time on whether or not a situation is valid. As well as understanding their own limits and when their own bias may be in the way and stepping back in those cases.
- - Initiative. How often an applicant takes initiative on incoming a-helps or situation in which admin intervention is required. As well as going out of their way to learn the mechanics of departments they might not normally play, or simply gameplay mechanics.
- - Activity. Self-explanatory, we want staff that are active and able to monitor the server. Taking breaks are fine, real life comes first after all. However, a moderator that is not there and does not give us a heads up when they disappear is frowned upon.
--Interjection from the headmin, in that in short, being staff sucks. In a lot of ways, it is a lot like a second job with crappier hours and no pay. Server staff have to deal with people at their worst including at times, other staff. Whether it be they’re having an off day and slipped up and did a bad, or someone purposely being malicious. Often times one finds their own RP being cut short due to having to aghost in order to look at a situation on the other side of the play map. Or dealing with the fact that they will have meta knowledge of situations due to logs, and having to lose the fact that unless they deadmin, they will not necessarily be surprised by situations anymore.
Server staff also do not always get along, we have our own internal conflicts and politics even when we try to keep them to a minimum. Everyone has slightly different ideas of what is best for the community, which while a good thing, will also lead to conflict. Despite our best attempts to the contrary with checks and balances there will be bias at times and staff will screw up. Or they will screw up in the eyes of one person, but not another. As stated we attempt to avoid that, but we are not perfect. No server has perfect, infallible, unbiased staff. That said, we do attempt to provide what we hope is the best experience for the community. If someone is reading this and still interested in being an applicant. There is a marker check that has to be put at the bottom of the application sheet. Please put the word ‘Chitter’ at the very bottom of said application sheet.
-- Moderator Application Sheet --
If posting a moderator application, please open a new thread with [Byond Key] – Moderator Application. In it have the below filled out.
Code: Select all
[size=150]Moderator Application[/size] [b]Byond Key - [/b] [b]Age - [/b] [b]Time range(including time zone) - [/b] [b]Character Name(s) - [/b] [b]How long have you played SS13 - [/b] [b]How long have you played on Polaris - [/b] [b]Any previous moderating experience? - [/b] [b]What are your strengths - [/b] [b]What are your weaknesses - [/b] [b]What would you consider the biggest strength of the server, how could we keep maintaining that strength? - [/b] [b]What’s the biggest problem with the server right now, and what would you do to help resolve it? - [/b] [b]Answer the following scenarios and how you would deal with them to the best of your ability - [/b] [list][b]An adminhelp comes in claiming a player is a potential griefer. Said player also happens to be a traitor.[/b][/list] [list][b]A player is upset in deadchat about another player's reaction to something they did, but they are clearly in the wrong. How would you handle this?[/b][/list] [list][b]When interviewing several players, one is lying but you cannot tell who it is. How would you proceed?[/b][/list] [b]Can you attend bimonthly staff meetings on teamspeak?-[/b] (Generally on Sundays at around 5pm EST) [b]Preferred means of contact - [/b](Teamspeak, Discord, IRC) [b]Anything Else You Want to Add - [/b]
-- Developer Applications --
If posting a developer application, please open a new thread with [Byond Key] – Developer Application. In it have the below filled out.
Code: Select all
[size=150]Developer Application[/size] [b]Byond Key - [/b] [b]Age - [/b] [b]Time Range(including time zone) - [/b] [b]Character Name(s) - [/b] [b]How long have you played SS13 - [/b] [b]How long have you played on Polaris - [/b] [b]Any previous SS13 development experience? - [/b] [b]Why are you applying to be a Developer? - [/b] [b]Answer the following questions truthfully - [/b] [list][b]Do you understand that developing here tends to be less about adding fun things, and more about maintaining years upon years of other people's code?[/b][/list] [list][b]Are you willing to maintain said code, on top of your own?[/b][/list] [list][b]Do you understand that becoming a developer does not guarantee that anything you make will be added?[/b][/list] [list][b]Do you understand that any abuse of power will be grounds for dismissal, at the discretion of the Head Developer, or the Admins?[/b][/list] [b]Can you attend bimonthly staff meetings on teamspeak?-[/b] (Generally on Sundays at around 2pm EST) [b]Preferred means of contact - [/b](Teamspeak, Discord, IRC) [b]Anything Else You Want to Add - [/b]