Psolus - Promethean

Place to apply for alien race whitelists.

Moderator: Whitelist Manager

psolus

Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:22 am

BYOND KEY: Psolus

SPECIES YOU WANT TO APPLY FOR: Promethean

NAME OF CHARACTERS IN-GAME: Edaeya Zofa, Kelya Sarafi, BLAP 5G XL Ultra, Null of Alnilam, Jonah, LUNA-498, SINA-7/Charlotte, Tracy Hedera, Siobhan Catalpa, Seshani Bii, Teivi Kiida

HOW LONG YOU’VE BEEN PLAYING POLARIS: I joined last September, so 10 months or so?

SOME EXAMPLE NAMES OF THE SPECIES: Prommie names can be pretty much anything, they’re often named by their creators but some choose their own names later in life. Some specific examples include Epidote, Caoimhe O’Croith, Dahlia, Avalon, and Mehl.

DEMONSTRATE THAT YOU UNDERSTAND THE LORE AND BEHAVIORS NECESSARY TO PROPERLY PORTRAY THIS SPECIES IN YOUR ROLE-PLAY:
Physiology:
Prommies are unique in their creation compared to other species, as they are not naturally born and instead created in a lab. The process of making a promethean involves combining monkey (or, potentially, another non-intelligent species) with an Aetolan slime core. Prommies physically mature *extremely* quickly, taking only a few minutes to grow to their full size (provided there is enough organic material for the slime core to ingest).
Once mature, Prommies consist of their electrically-charged slime core, macro-cytoskeleton and epidermis. Functionally, the core acts kind of like a nucleus does in a human cell: It stores genetic information and is absolutely critical to the survival of the rest of the Promethean. The macro-cytoskeleton (functionally like a cell’s cytosol) is the next outer layer of the Promethean, which is a dense fluid that supports their body and shape. The outer layer is the epidermis, which, like a cell’s membrane, controls what can pass out of and into the macro-cytoskeleton. If the core is damaged, rejuvenation can be attempted through injection of phoron. Cloning is also partially compatible with cores, but it is probably a bad idea in the long run, as it is known to cause problems with memory, cohesion, and future neural degeneration. However, rarely are either of these measures necessary since prommies are very good at self-regeneration. Being filter feeders, they are able to heal most wounds by absorbing and processing organic material around them. (Also, being filter feeders, they have a much less picky diet than other species, eating everything from mice to dirt). Also, they don’t poop. However, prommies *are* very susceptible to water. While they can filter out tiny amounts of water from the organic material they process, more exposure to water can cause severe harm.
While Prommies physically mature quickly, their mental development takes more time. Early in life, prommies will often mimic the people and things around them to better understand their environment. As such, repeated behaviors will often imprint on the promethean and become very hard to unlearn (this is why it is bad to repeatedly express bad/hurtful behaviors in front of baby prommies). Prommies are still individuals, however, and will find other ways of learning in addition to mimicry. Prommies tend to be very inquisitive, and they often have a harder time grasping abstract and philosophical concepts. As prometheans age, they will tend to eventually settle on a personality. However, this does not completely stop their mimicking habits nor is it necessarily a permanent change.
Prommies are able to change their body color at will, often doing so to indicate changes in emotional state. However, most prommies have a ‘resting color,’ or color that they default to in a regular state of mind. A promethean’s resting color can often tell a bit about their personality (i.e. blues and blacks may be more reserved than pinks and reds).

Background:
The first promethean was created on accident, aboard the NRS Prometheus in 2540, another one being made soon after. Dr. Naomi Harper, director of the NRS Prometheus, fought to have the new species recognized as sapient (this was granted in 2544). Prometheans were first authorized to be made in NT laboratories in 2546. This continues until early 2562, in which Dr Harper used Prometheans to stage a coup on Aetolus, later declaring Vounna independent. The Aetolian Council was founded soon after, and along with it the creation of the Almach Association.
Due to their very political background, many races tend to look negatively upon prommies, especially Skrell and Vox.

Culture:
Prometheans have no succinct culture, as they are so new to the universe and so spread out. There are some communities of Prometheans (such as Aetolus), though little is known about their daily life there. Instead, Prometheans often adopt the culture of whatever people they were raised by. Prometheans are not yet allowed to currently live independently; each must be assigned an approved guardian to watch over them. There are some Prometheans known to be in a ‘distance guardianship,’ though this has many strict rules of its own.

WHY DO YOU WANT TO PLAY THIS SPECIES?: Slime-pals. Need I say more??? …yes? Okay. Well I’ve always loved prommies with all my slime-loving heart; they’re so *good* and unique in concept! Also my roommate plays one and it looks fun. ALSO! I’ve found that applying for whitelists is the only way to convince me to read lore on these species and it would be cool to know as much about slimes as I’m sure my xenobiologist does. *ALSO* I have a good idea, hear me out. Light pink prommie. Named Bubblegum. Good idea? Yeah I know B)

ANYTHING ELSE YOU WISH TO ADD:
Yes, I have some questions if that’s okay! Sorry if there’s a lot of them ;;
1. This line: “Even with the incredible influence others' actions have on them they do remain an individual, barring extreme circumstances, such as certain factors.” So, if an ‘extreme circumstance’ were to occur, what would happen to the prommie’s sense of self and personality?
2. The wiki mentions chirping, clicking, and gurgling as sounds that prommies may make, depending on the type of circumstances. Any other fun ones?
3. I understand that Prommies are very new to the universe, but is there yet any evidence of them aging beyond maturity? (i.e. does anyone have a reason to suspect that that a prommie could die of old age?)

Woodrat

Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:21 pm

Will notify whitelist manager. Ping me in 24 hours if no reply.

Mechoid

Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:24 am

Hokay, sorry for the delay my brain exploded as mentioned on Solar's app.

A few questions.
1) Where is Chalak?

2) How might the Almach situation affect a Promethean

3) What is one example of Promethean-specific fashion?

And to answer yours!
- An extreme circumstance is, for example, being present in a crashed shuttle on a deserted planet. The behaviors they have learned are not necessarily useful in their new, potentially tribal social group.
- Chirping, clicking, and gurgling, whistling, 'warbling' are all general sounds a Promethean could make automatically without any external information. Others would, generally, be learned.
- The only known 'natural deaths' of Prometheans were due to pre-existing genetic failures due to their creation process. Scientists who work extensively with slimes and Prometheans could probably guess that, barring any genetic deformity or external force, either could probably persist forever if given enough biomass, though not without losing information along the way.

psolus

Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:56 am

Absolutely no worries my pal! I hope your brain gets better soon cuz that sounds painful!
And thank you for the answers~

1) Where is Chalak?
Chalak is a planet that orbits Vounna, a.k.a it is in the same solar system as Aetolus, which is considered the Promethean homeworld.

2) How might the Almach situation affect a Promethean?
For a Promethean created in SolGov space, they should expect some amount of prejudice from non-prommie coworkers and acquaintances, since the existence of prommies are so integral to the original formation of the Almach association.

3) What is one example of Promethean-specific fashion?
Prometheans stick things into their bodies! One example would be a dye, embedded in either their dermal or internal layer to temporarily change their appearance.

Mechoid

Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:37 pm

Alright, you addressed my remaining concerns in DMs, so I feel like I can give you my +1 here. I'll still keep an eye on you like I do the others, though, so if you have any questions just prod me!

• Information