Hunnewle - Dionaea

Place to apply for alien race whitelists.

Moderator: Whitelist Manager

Hunnewle

Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:00 pm

BYOND Key: Hunnewle

Species you want to apply for: Dionaea

Name of Characters In-game: Corvo Ortenshire, Cubie, Si/Sylvia, Ti, Exo, Ceea Rahrahshi, and Takaah Su.

How long you've been playing Polaris: ~1-2 Years.

Some example names of the species: Shifting Sands Beneath Moons Singing Out To the Ocean Below. A Sedentary Planet Cools Far From A Star Drifting Into The Abyss. Lights Beyond Measure Dance Across Planets Unknown Yet The Call For Us.

Warning: Bloody massive wall of text! Difficult to properly format text here! I apologize for any pain the following may inflict on ones eyes.
(Edit: 2/7/19 ~4:45PM EST, Attempted to make brick of text more readable.)
Open at own risk.Show
Summarize what you know about the species: Slow. Curious. Alien in both mind and body/bodies. Where one might see similarities between humans, skrell, unathi, and tajarans such as mammalian (and reptilian) life, there are none for the dionaea, save for the fact they resemble plant life. At first the skrell thought these creatures nothing more than a strange orbital body around Epsilon Ursae Minoris. Once our squid-like scientists investigated closer however, the found what seemed to be clumps of carbon formed into asteroids. Once within sight of one another, it was apparent this was not an asteroid at all. As interested as the Skrell were, the Dionaea were even more so in them. It took a few centuries before the Skrell could understand the Dionaea, and the Dionaea understand the Skrell, as these strange beings communicated in an odd manner. Electromagnetic based communication.
The asteroids surrounding the star were found not to be one creature each, but rather hundred if not thousands formed into a gestalt. These creatures did not hunt, farm, or otherwise prepare food for themselves. They collect solar radiation, for a process similar to photosynthesis, while also gathering hydrogen gas from the outermost fringes of their stars. The hydrogen isn't use as a food source, but rather, propulsion. Using captured gas they could send new gestalts, seeds, into the dark unknown (or simply to a nearby ice asteroid for water.)
A single Diona resembled a large slug like creature, but once a few of them grow onto another, they form a gestalt. These gestalts have virtually no restraint in regards to their shape and size. From a simple gestalt of two dionae, to ones which encompass entire gas giants, these creatures know no limits to their growth. As a gestalt grows, so too does it's capacity for intelligence. Where a single diona has the sentience of a monkey and the wits of a cat, larger gestalts are far more superior in this regard. But... this ability for limitless growth and intelligence is hampered by the fact that the bigger a gestalt is, the slower it is. Due to this, it took a few years of communication before the Skrell and Dionaea came to a mutually beneficial deal.
It is a bit hard to travel the universe using only pressurized gas, as such the Dionae spread slowly and simply cannot reach some places at all. I imagine they would burn up if they ever attempted planet fall... Now, the Skrell would take small gestalts, seeds, and samples and plant them across the universe. In exchange, the Dionaea would serve the Skrell, but not as master and vassal, rather, Ship and crew. Instead of spending excessive amounts of time and effort to produce heavy metallic ships which require even more effort to repair if damaged, the Skrell had the Dionaea become their ships instead. Where an impact might dent and or crack the hull of a normal ship, Dionaea ships would... just... grow back. The dionaea didn't even mind, as they have few 'needs' and really only one 'want'.
Their needs are simply radiation and assorted chemicals, which for the most part they synthesize for their selves via symbiotic viruses and other biological structures. As for their one 'want', to learn. Explore. See the universe and all that it has to offer, and study it. With aid of the Skrell, and recently Humans, and, slowly, the Unathi, they send their spawn, seeds, and small gestalts out, so that those they send can return and tell their 'home-gestalt' all they've learned.
Now, their means of reproduction are unknown, despite the Skrell's best efforts. Dionaea have no DNA, nor do they store genetic information within cells. Their cells, actually, can be viewed with the naked eye such is their size. These large cells are fibrous and don't have any distinct nuclei. Genetic wise, each and every single Diona Nymph is a clone. Every single gestalt is composed of the same exact parts, merely in different configurations. Similar to trying to build something with legos, but only having 1x2 blocks. While a single 'block' is identical to any other, when built together with hundreds of other blocks, in many different arrangements, you then have something that is unique, yet made of the same exact stuff as others.
So, despite their relatively 'simple' anatomy, these creatures serve as star ships, satellites, terraformers, and even factories, as they possess a very useful ability. By using the various symbiotic virus' within themselves, they are able to perform a plethora of chemical processes, not to mention the fact they can shape white-hot metal, provided the gestalt has prepared it's self for that task. They are a near perfect atomic assembler, as they take numerous ingredients and can turn them into bluespace drives, entire ships, furniture, entire colonies, food, chemicals, nearly anything- That is, except planticide and the like.
This may seem strange for a plant-like species, considering a number of those tasks require handling of dangerously hot materials, until you consider their normal habitat. Their preferred habitat is what we humans refer to as 'Inhospitable', the higher layers of hellish infernos like stars, gas giants, and some very hot planets. Okay, I feel I've layed a large enough brick of text so I'll wrap this up with a last bit of info, The Dionaea are mostly slow due to their nerve system, or rather, their near-lack of one. Their 'nerves' are under-developed and not centralized, while their actual 'brain matter' can be many cubic meters long. This causes the previously mentioned issue of, bigger Gestalt, smarter but slower Gestalt.
Why do you want to play this species?: I've been playing as an eccentric scientific minded Teshari for awhile now, and would really like a change of pace. Rather than play as a synthetic even more, I'd prefer our 'green giants'. They are the definition of 'Slow' and also the meaning of 'Curious'. They differ from all other races in mind and body, finding it difficult the see others as individuals instead of a mere part of a much larger gestalt.

Anything else you wish to add:
This has been an updated version of my application. Consider this one to be Version 2.0. I typed out a brick of text this time, fingers actually hurt now. I await your instructions should I need to make application version 3.0!
Last edited by Hunnewle on Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Hunnewle

Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:25 pm

Bump.

Anewbe

Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:06 pm

The species maintainer has been made aware of this thread. I'm pretty sure they've got a busy few days ahead, so it may be a little bit before they can get back to you on this.

Hunnewle

Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:07 am

Fine by me. I'm applying to be able to be a tree-person. Be a bit odd if I didn't have the patience of a tree. Okay- maybe a small tree, but still.

elgeonmb

Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:25 am

Ookay, let's bust this out while I have a moment.

I'm not thrilled at the length of this application. You touch on a) their gestalt psychology and b) their Weird Space Physiology, but I'm not seeing a whole lot of information on their life cycle or their relationships with other species, or their unique per-species mechanics. They're not just Slow Tree People, they're a fundamentally alien and unnatural *thing* from beyond the stars.

Your Teshari play is also somewhat worrisome; I'm going to need to see a very strong app to be convinced that you can play the innately reactive and pensive style that is the Diona halmark.

Hunnewle

Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:56 pm

Fair enough. Currently reviewing lore pages. Will edit main post with new version plastered over with previously referred Lore Pages.

Hunnewle

Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:34 pm

Application updated. I'm gonna let my hands and eyes rest now. Both are hurting just a tad. I should not have written so much so fast...

Forgot to ask, You mentioned concerns regarding my Teshari. Can I ask what those are so I may correct any mistakes?

elgeonmb

Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:14 pm

The specific concern was your Tesh's extremely broad competence in a variety of fields but I'm not really going to stress about that right now.

Just make sure you're playing Dooners as the passive inscrutable bastards they are and I think we're good here. Approved.

Hunnewle

Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:46 pm

Copy that, Cheers.

• Information