Katzevon - Promethean

Place to apply for alien race whitelists.

Moderator: Whitelist Manager

Katze

Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:32 am

BYOND Key: Katzevon

Species you want to apply for: Promethean

Name of Characters In-game: Jane 514

How long you've been playing Polaris: 357 days

Some example names of the species:Amethyst, Peppermint, Wisp, Slimey Walky Talky, Jello for arms, Water 2.0, Dry Clean only, Not Edible!, Steve.

Summarise what you know about the species: The Promethean is an outcome of slime experimentation, they are a relatively new (and ignorant at times) race to the galaxy and live under constant scientific supervision. They are able to consume a large variety of materials for nutrients and posses significant regenerative capabilities, however water causes cellular degradation and failure of outer membrane cohesion. They retain a singular "organ" which is their core, present in their torso. This core is responsible for all life functions of the Promethean and so long as it remains intact, the Promethean is technically alive. Promethean emotions can be exaggerated or dull depending on their resting colour, however this may not be always accurate, most change the colouring of the membrane to reflect their current mood or thoughts.

Why do you want to play this species?: Because I have a very strong desire to play a horribly ignorant and new Prommie that is constantly excited all the damn time with an insatiable desire for ADVENTURE that's going to wear everyone else out and probably end up being starved to calm her down. (The run on sentence was intentional to express my prommies ENERGY and EXCITEMENT.)

Anything else you wish to add: I dislike spiders.

Woodrat

Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:53 am

Paging Prommie whitelisters, if they don't get back within 48 hours gimmie a buzz on the discord.

Mechoid

Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:51 am

Disliking spiders is vvvverboden! No it's fine.

You've got the most basic parts of the biology down, but nothing regarding their current overall situation lore-wise, and some.. Very Interesting name example choices that give me a Morpheus Positronic-guardian vibe. Which leads into questions!

1) What is the importance of a Guardian? What is their job?

2) What mistakes might a new guardian make?

3) What might alcohol do to a Promethean, aside from be more toxic than water?

4) What political event has happened recently that might affect Prometheans? How might it color the views of people toward them?

5) Would you mind giving more of an explanation for your character idea?

Katze

Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:49 am

1) What is the importance of a Guardian? What is their job?:

Much like a dog Handler, the purpose of a guardian is to ensure the Promethean doesn't eat things they're not suppose to. In the event of such, they're to wrestle out of the Prommie all while yelling "Bad! Bad!" Though if you want it more serious, the name guardian gives all the implications needed. They're responsible for a Promethean, their well being, knowledge, health and care. They provide housing and monitoring, The Promethean provides a portion of its paycheck to the facility or guardian as well.

2) What mistakes might a new guardian make?:

A new guardian could make all the same mistakes as a new parent, or in another case perhaps an experienced parent in one species but not so in another. Misunderstanding the psychological, developmental and physical needs of a Promethean are likely a common mistake with each new guardian. Likely new guardians are co-guardians with another more experienced one as a learning tool. Some common mistakes may include not understanding the mental developmental cycle of a Promethean, perhaps treating them too immaturely or as if they were daft. Such could have a variety of effects including but not limited to perhaps the Promethean having stunted behavioural and mental development in some areas, or getting into more trouble than they should in another case.

3) What might alcohol do to a Promethean, aside from be more toxic than water?:

The wiki is a bit unclear about the why a Promethean experiences uncontrolled movement, the panic could be an understandable side effect from such though I can't see any biological reason as to why. My best guess would be the sugars and molecule structures are absorbed into energy and perhaps water or some other bloody things breaks up cellular connection and organization with the core. So you have limbs that are being harmed, and regrowing without direction and thus moving and flailing about. See alien hand syndrome I guess, even though that's completely different.

4) What political event has happened recently that might affect Prometheans? How might it color the views of people toward them?:

Short version, a mad woman (Naomi Harper) took over the surrogate home planet of Prometheans (Aetolus) in a coup with some of said Promethean (Likely due to how impressionable some can be and we've no idea what the state of said planetmetheans were mentally and developmentally, she probably promised them food). So of course some idiots in space are going to see that some prommies did a bad thing far away and presume all prommies will do bad things now. Long version is more complicated and would lead to a long ramble of many years of history.

5) Would you mind giving more of an explanation for your character idea?

I haven't finished designing the character and all my characters of course evolve over time. The general idea is a relatively young Prommie who's guardians is a stary-eye'd science person who gets her all excite with stories of the cosmos, grandeur stories of exploration and discovery, theorizing about all that could be out there and all there is to learn and that the only thing keeping us from getting it is ourselves. The basic makeup I have so far is that she's extremely excite about all things science and discovery, naïve and highly impressionable. She's probably going to end up being killed, de-radioed, duct-taped, slapped, welded into a locker, put in a corner, told off, given a cookie to keep her busy and finally get her to shut up by annoyed people. Her guardian was intended to be a very sciency Morpheus Posi correct, since if there's any follow up questions it would have likely been that.

Lastly I want to name her Dry Clean Only, due to this not only being sensible hygiene practice for a Promethean but also because their guardian is indeed a TV-head. If this isn't acceptable I'll go with something else of course.

Katze

Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:31 pm

A grot told me to bump this

Mangled

Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:54 pm

I am going to kick your ass, Kat.

Mechoid

Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:19 am

I TOTALLY DIDN'T FORGET THIS EXISTED I SWEAR I'M GOOD AT MY JOB.

Okay yes, my concerns have been mitigated after some investigation, and you seem to have it down. Still going to keep an eye out, but otherwise you have my +1.

• Information