McTash - Promethean

Place to apply for alien race whitelists.

Moderator: Whitelist Manager

McTash

Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:32 pm

BYOND Key: McTash

Species you want to apply for: Promethean

Name of Characters In-game: Ludmilla Walker, Kara Fea, Ella Scott, Juliet Moon, Drakki Mijri, Melayne Larson, John Jameson

How long you've been playing Polaris: I played occasionally before the new map. New map hit and I played for a couple months then life got busy. Just recently got to a point where I could come back this October.

Some example names of the species: Names vary widely, I'd probably keep a consistency of normal names, such as: Vincent, Grant, and so on. Just simple names to start with.

Summarize what you know about the species: Prometheans lack organs and instead have a core, as normal giant slimes do, that serves as a brain and holds their genetic information. Cloning involves injecting sheets of phoron to the core to regenerate the promethean. Normal cloning methods work, but risks possibility of neural degradation down the line. Digestive systems are efficientand they gain their nutrition from almost anything they can absorb, except anything liquid based. Like drinks, alcohol, etc.

Promethean's home world is Aetolus where they were created in a lab by complete accident. After research was done the prometheans were deemed sapient beings and got recognized by the state. Able to exist with a 'supervisor' or 'caregiver' that assumes all responsibility for the promethean.

The species tends to mimic most things. Such as their creator's color/shape when they are first 'born'. This is also how they learn to speak certain languages. Their creator or caretaker speaks a certain language around them and they learn it by mimicking what was said. Prometheans can shift their hues to match a certain color, but they all possess a resting/normal color. Normally it is a color consistent with their parent slimes or simply the color of their creator. Prometheans also show certain emotions with the changing of body color.

A promethean's 'resting' body color can give someone a lot of insight to the promethean's personality and even how their mind and or body works. A red promethean will normally have a very short temper and be extremely stubborn while a cyan promethean has a generalized curiosity about everything. The blue one is stoical and the pink promethean tends to be more empathetic, but all of these can be slightly different due to any traits the promethean picked up from mimicking their creator. The colors can even let you know how warm or cold the promethean is. Orange or red being the warmest while blue is the coldest.

Why do you want to play this species?: Watching all the other players play their promethean characters is really fascinating. Opens more RP options considering they are literally slimes. The mechanics seem like they would be really cool to play around with and you have to be extra careful of what you ingest and even where you are in case it begins to rain.

Anything else you wish to add: Just a little something I thought was really cool when I read it was how the prometheans display "fashion". They cannot get piercings or tattoos so they opt to embed themselves with glitter and dye to give their best attempt at mimicking a normal tattoo. But since their bodies are so corrosive it doesn't last, so it kind of works like one of the little water tattoos little kids get trying to look cool like their parents do.

No rush on getting this read. I'm generally busy throughout the week and will probably not be able to check it/revise it daily. I'll do my best to check on it every other day.

Woodrat

Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:28 pm

pinging the maintainers.

Mechoid

Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:07 pm

Alrighty, good sir or madam. I've seen no concerning notes, so I'll get right to a few questions!

What are some recent events that may affect a Promethean?

What is the importance of a Guardian?

What things might a Promethean struggle with?

And, a clarification: Prometheans can consume liquids, like oils, just fine. Water-based liquids are the ones that can cause problems, with pure water being outright deadly.

McTash

Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:25 am

1. The Ascendants doctrine that is allowing prometheans to be turned into bioweapons. Along with any political hate that could come with their homeworld belonging to the Almach Association.

2. I think I touched on it briefly, but guardian wasnt the term I used. I think I was just calling them caregivers. A guardian is the person that is assuming responsibility for the promethean because prometheans are not allowed to live by themselves. They're also the prometheans primary source of education.

3. Finding any job outside NT, as they are the only ones to hire the prometheans. They are also unable to grasp and understand religion and philosophy.

Mechoid

Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:48 pm

Hokay! Caregiver / caretaker both are pretty common terms, but can be used interchangeably with guardian or equivalent.

I should note though, that NT isn't the only group to hire them, it's simply rare for them to be working outside of it. Religion and abstract philosophy are both possible, but difficult to grasp, as well!

A final question, what specifically is the origin of the standing color? As it isn't the first guardian/caretaker. Specifically wondering if I may need to re-word or clarify something on their page.

McTash

Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:41 pm

Oh, I must have had it mixed up with something, but the origin is from the parent slime species. I think what messed me up was it saying parent species and I took it as guardian instead.

Mechoid

Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:22 pm

Ah! Alright, yeah. That's what I thought might need re-wording. But! Unless someone else has comments or concerns, I have no issue giving my +1. Just remember to be careful and if you have any questions, I exist!

• Information