Quality of Life Suggestions

The place for ideas and feedback for all things community related.

Moderators: Game Moderators, Game Administrator, Developer

Neerti

Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:36 pm

As part of my Five Year Phase Plan as General Secretrary, I want to make our codebase be less janky and painful to play when compared to other servers. To do this, I'm making a massive list of lists of lists of... things that add tedium, are unintuitive, or waste time for no reason. I find that a lot of these are really small and easy to do, but nobody's really gotten around to doing them, or they forget after they see it. That's why I plan to do these in bulk. So far I have at least 60+ planned changes, but I want more.

I'm putting this here both to inform people of what I'm going to do in the future, as well as ask for any ideas that I may have missed, as I don't play all the jobs in the game. I mostly play Engineer/Robotics so that's where I notice things that are a pain, but there is no doubt other things I won't be able to find by myself, so please let me know if you find something as well.

Important
This is mainly concerned with improving the Quality of Life (QoL) of Polaris.
I should note that my definition of QoL is very specific and isn't like how some very specific people define it.
Here is a short comparison below:

What I think QoL is:
  • Adding a bulk print button of specific amounts to the protolathe, so making ten micro manipulators takes one click, not ten.
  • Adding a small progress bar to the recharger sprites.
  • Making it so you don't need to swap hands to hit the pulse or cut wire button in the hacking interface, if the tool you need is in your offhand (or any of your 'hands', as a borg).
  • Implementing ability for an AI inside an AI shell, to go to another AI shell by clicking on it from within the first shell, to avoid going back to the AI core mob first.
  • Make concurrent do_mob() calls move the progress bar up/down and not overlap.
  • Removing access locks on modular computer programs you already have downloaded to the computer.
What I think it isn't:
  • Making Xenobio be able to be fully done from a single computer terminal, without interacting with the slimes at all (see TG's xenobio).
  • Non-specific buffs to a particular department, as I feel it's treating the symptom verses the cause.
What I'm looking for.
I'm looking for people to either write down what parts of a job are janky, or have ideas on what could be done to reduce the jankiness of something.
Please be as specific as possible.
"Engineering is tedious.", is bad.
"Fixing a big hole takes almost an hour, because I have to go get X, and Y, which is on the other side of the station, and the Z isn't really good at its job of fixing things." is much better. The second one is specific, and is more insightful to me in how someone playing that job operates. The first just tells me there's a potential problem somewhere.

aimlessAnalyst

Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:41 am

I was thinking of coding this myself but I don't know where it's stored: Making announcements multi-line capable. Right now, the dialogue box we get for them is single-line, but you know what would be beautiful? Multi-lines. Break up those massive text paragraphs from the HoS into readable chunks!

Right now, doing research as a borg means that you have to go between the protolathe's sync menu every. Single. Time. You deconstruct something. And it's kind of a soul rending pain in the ass. If anyone has ideas as to making that a little LESS soul-rending, please, I'm all ears.

Please, god, though, make the pulse/cut interface work from offhand.

Nalarac

Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:48 pm

I'll try to list a few off the top of my head:

Research:
  • Making it so the protolathe / circuit printer doesn't reset to the top of the page after it's done printing one item. (Honestly if it was more like the exosuit fabricator it'd be perfect)
  • Making it possible to toss more items into the autolathe. This would be nice for both items that don't have any material amount associated with them (e.g. toolboxes) and for tools like screwdrivers to be deconstructed
Engineering:
  • Improving the space heaters so they're actually useful would be nice. Commonly if a room is overheated, the best course of action is to just vent the room and then refill it.
  • Having more engivends around the station so that you don't need to go all the way back to engineering to grab, for example, a power control board to fix an APC.
  • The frame system that Sin4 implemented is kind of wonky with the smaller frames using only 2 steel then spawning the left-over 3 on the floor. Also the APC frame is separate from this system for some reason? Perhaps split it into "large frame" and "small frame"?
Medical:
  • Making it so ejecting beakers from the chemistry machines having it placed in your hand (unless cyborg). Generally if you're ejecting the beaker you want to pick it up, so this would be nice.
  • Labeling the two cryoxadone beakers next to cryogenics.
Miscellaneous:
  • Make it so the oxygen canister and modules in a rig are removed with the same tool.
  • Similar to aimless's suggestion, having it so the emergency message from the communications console displaying more than a small line visible to write in would be nice.
  • When lowering to code green, have it so the status displays show something normal (e.g. station time) instead of an "alert green"

ZekeSulastin

Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:09 pm

A way to cancel a cargo shuttle launch when in the "Away" state.

aimlessAnalyst

Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:21 am

Making borgs able to place items from grippers onto tables, secondarily, giving the surgery OR crisis borg an ability to use or pick up chemistry bags, because when crisis borgs are doing chemistry for the medical bay, they have to wander back and forth for eeeeevery single bottle.

EDIT: Service borgs should be able to take eggs out of egg cartons

Mangled

Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:54 pm

In addition to the protolathe being able to queue up a build list, do similar for the autolathe, that way mad engineers have an easier time of building conveyor highways/making 40 bootknives or whatever takes their fancy.

And for any role that uses guns often-ish, clicking a gun with a fitting magazine/clip/speedloader/cell/whatever you use to feed it should swap it out with whatever is currently loaded. As it is right now swapping a magazine is click gun, get rid of the old mag, find new magazine, click gun. Which in my opinion at least is bloody annoying to have to do even when not being shot at. Though may also encourage players to use the different ammo types available if it becomes easier to swap out semi-quickly, which could be both good and bad depending on circumstance. Keep shotguns as is, however.

On a similiar idea though possibly a bit outside of scope I'd like to ask that shotgun shells/bullets in general be stackable if not already. This is mostly so players can have more than one shotgun shell in each pocket.

ZekeSulastin

Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:58 am

A verb to retract all hardsuit components at once like we have to deploy all hardsuit components at once.

aimlessAnalyst

Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:14 am

A larger alpha on the metal rod sprites, and dense spider web sprites, for easier on-tile clicking.

Nalarac

Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:33 pm

Having it so the AI eye tracks active shells (instead of resetting to the core) so that you can always follow the AI.

aimlessAnalyst

Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:09 am

Nalarac wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:33 pm
Having it so the AI eye tracks active shells (instead of resetting to the core) so that you can always follow the AI.
Seconding this, it would also make it easier to release control of a shell without getting lag-yote back to your core

• Information