Teleporter 2: Electric Boogaloo discussion thread

The place for ideas and feedback for all things community related.

Moderators: Game Moderators, Game Administrator, Developer

mistyLuminescence

Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:43 am

Previous teleporters: ID-locked door, no further precautions.
Current teleporters: ID-locked door, and turrets (default: stun, check ID, check warrants and records) that shoot you if you're on arrest, don't have teleporter access, or aren't a humanoid or synthetic lifeform. Yes, this means they shoot Ian.
Suggested teleporters: ID-locked door, and ID-locked teleporter station that only functions when unlocked (and requires teleporter access to unlock). Can be hacked for a variety of shenanigans.

Here's the PR! Let's get some discussion in before the next staff meeting.

MsRandylicious

Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:23 pm

I personally think it was all perfectly fine as is before, but here we are. I like the idea of being able to fuck around with the teleporter, because that's things to do for Engineering and it gives folks a chance. I get the counter argument is that "non-command folk will have a chance to use it again, and it'll just end up abused" or something but I feel like... that's more for Security to do, y'know? So, overall, I'm for an alternative that isn't just sneezing down turrets.

Wickedtemp

Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:13 pm

^ /thread

But really though, it was fine as it was. Then turrets got added that pretty much break the whole concept of even having a teleporter room to start with, and an attempt to scale back those restrictions so at least you can go into the teleporter room without getting permastunlocked is for some reason a controversial one. It makes me feel like the whole "What Do You Want" thread - viewtopic.php?f=14&t=763&start=10 - was...just meaningless words, because "staff's behavior" and "needlessly nitpicking" were directly mentioned as concerning flaws...And they're both still a thing.

Fenodyree

Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:25 pm

On the one hand, this nerfs ThoughtSynapsis, giving me the upper hand in our continued feud. :)
On the other hand, doesn't the fact that the teleporters were used so much prior to this indicate how fed up people were with the shuttle times?

I'd be for leaving this if the shuttles are quicker by, maybe a factor of two?
With shuttles currently, I dislike this change. It's still going to take you like, 2-5 minutes per trip where the player does NOTHING.
If there's medical or sec needed planetside, that's an eternity. Honestly, if I don't use the teleporter, I don't BOTHER trying for a rapid response to the planet.

Alas for the pilots (sorry you stalwart pilot mains), hooray for everyone else (which is pretty much everyone).

Make the doors the secure variant, to slow down hacking in and prevent people (me) shooting my way in and axe the turrets.

Wickedtemp

Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:54 am

I have a feeling this is just going to get ignored

Woodrat

Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:27 am

Was brought up at the staff meeting.

First bit generated interest among staff, with ideas on tying it together with arcane research levels (Mechoid may look into this more later).

Second bit, some interested among staff. May be looked into on its own.

Third bit, not a lot of generated interest among staff, as it being hackable would mean that it would not prevent usage of the teleporters at all, just mean that it'd take 5 seconds longer to do so.

Notion of removal of turrets on top of this was not liked among staff.

Overall there was not strong enough interest to merge the pull request as it stands, but it does have some concepts that need to be looked into further once we see how arcane research levels work with the new changes as to what gets it.

• Information