Phase Weaponry - Energy --> Beam

The place for ideas and feedback for all things community related.

Moderators: Game Moderators, Game Administrator, Developer

mistyLuminescence

Thu May 23, 2019 3:06 pm

PR here.

Previously: phase weaponry fired energy projectiles, similar to that of the stun revolver, which would impact against windows.
Now: phase weaponry fires beam projectiles, similar to that of the taser, which passes through windows and leaves a visible trail.

Thoughts?

DasIrrlicht

Thu May 23, 2019 3:55 pm

Reasonable for on-station spiderhunt. And as a weapon against Carp. Mainly that, even.

MsRandylicious

Thu May 23, 2019 4:41 pm

hell yea, as das said itll be good to let explorers handle on station problems when theres no sec (which is common), aaand so they can get more interactions and whatnot. shouldnt change up stuff theyd do planetside besides the buildin POIs that usually have spiders, and is clearin a place easier really that bad? i think this is neat n i like it.

Woodrat

Thu May 23, 2019 9:21 pm

No.

They're not station security, and this literally means you could abuse every single PoI by making a full tile reinforced window and pushing it ahead of you. Every single PoI would pretty much be a cakewalk to any explorer with a basic phase weapon. Several PoIs would have to have the windows removed to stop the cheese. Certain PoIs are already quite cheesy. Its already not that hard for explorers to get their hands on weapons, both illegally and legally cause frankly they don't give a damn about corp regs and break into areas anyways.

This'll be up for staff discussion on Sunday. But my own personal opinion is no.

mistyLuminescence

Thu May 23, 2019 9:26 pm

Can't you do that with lasers anyway? The really challenging PoIs - BSD, drone foundry, etc - all use enemies that either have ranged attacks, fire lasers, or both, so the fulltile-window trick only works against (specifically non-ranged/tunnel) spiders.

atermonera

Fri May 24, 2019 12:12 am

For the sake of keeping the discussion on the pr itself transparent:

mistyLuminescence

Fri May 24, 2019 10:01 pm

Another idea I've been toying with is phase slugs for shotguns- keeping regular phase weaponry as-is, but having phase slugs fire beams, and be rechargeable at a recharger. Same system could be used for pulse, laser, taser slugs, etc.

Mangled

Mon May 27, 2019 7:34 pm

Woodrat wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 9:21 pm
Something about Window shields.
If mob AI dosen't already account for that and smash or bap the dragged window away then it should, I'm fairly sure it does and if not then there is basically nothing stopping players from using an acquired laser from doing it other than a bit of inventory tetris and tool hunting at round start to make their mobile window shield possible so who cares it makes no difference anyway. "An admin can yell at them for it!" I can almost hear screeching in my ear and thats true I guess but I'm willing to do that for a couple days tops and if devs haven't fixed it by then save your F1 button the stress because its now a feature as far as I care.

So that concern is meaningless in any case. As to explorers clearing POIs through windows, again pointless objection, they'd do that anyway with a laser. They're easy to get either from finding one out in the wilds or asking one of three departments for.

Feels more like a no "just because" to me and I'm bemused and amused as to how you think mentioning they aren't redshirts is in any way relevant. Xenobiologists aren't Security either yet there they are with a beamy zap gun in their lab and the world didn't end for them having it.

Now as to my for and against for this idea, its a pretty simple one really. Giving them a starter weapon that is insta hit since it is a beam would make things too easy I feel. Thats both a Pro and a Con. I'm old and crap at games so I'd appreciate having an easy to use gun to start me off, while other players would have a bonus to their kill-itude. Which now I've typed that I realise it isn't a con at all because either way people end up having fun which is why we're here anyway.

I'll cut the stream of babble short here and just say yeah sure I'm for it.
mistyLuminescence wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 10:01 pm
Another idea I've been toying with is phase slugs for shotguns- keeping regular phase weaponry as-is, but having phase slugs fire beams, and be rechargeable at a recharger. Same system could be used for pulse, laser, taser slugs, etc.
Funnily enough that idea actually bugs me more. How do you go about charging a taser slug, rip it out of the face of whatever you blammed, hope it isnt broken, clean it off, charge it, find more gunpowder for the shell while you wait on that then cobble it all together and hope you didn't miss a step next time you try to fire?
Screw that I'd just order more shells, I'd have a whole box from cargo in the time it took to fix one.

atermonera

Tue May 28, 2019 5:33 pm

This was discussed at the 26 May staff meeting, and staff voted against. Reasoning on the PR

• Information