Reinstate Multisurgery

The place for ideas and feedback for all things community related.

Moderators: Game Moderators, Game Administrator, Developer

atermonera

Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:44 pm

(It's already removed, and has been for some time, this thread is arguing to add it back)

Nalarac

Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:04 pm

I'd mainly want this reinstated for robo-surgery as a fried FBP can easily need 11 places that need to be opened with a screwdriver, crowbar, then healed multiple times with cables/welder.

schnayy

Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:19 pm

I don't surgeon but I do roboticist and... honestly I'd like to see this for them at least. Roboticists have to sit there for so fucking long to repair fbps sometimes. It's incredibly boring and incredibly slow to open everything one by one if someone got fucked. But overall I'm not strongly opinionated either direction.

9Hyperzine

Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:22 am

I heard that this thing I have a lot of feelings about was being discussed.

Speaking as a guy who is frequently in need of surgery when playing, I would really prefer to have my surgeons capable of doing multisurgery. Injuries are statistically-speaking distributed over multiple body parts in multiple ways when the average spessman is exposed to hazardous areas (dangerous airflow, falling down holes, etc), projectiles, and simplemobs (SPIDERS), the three most common hazards that can be found in traditional Polaris gameplay. The result is that chems are not only speedier and easier to start with, they're also applicable to the more common injury type, which is to say, the injury to eight different body parts and organs. This isn't the case for servers that have a much higher focus on people murdering each other a whole lot more, as for the most part people will target one body part and more frequently use melee weapons, and thus surgery upon that rough area of the body is usually a little more time-efficient.

I think that, unless there's plans to localize wounds more in a general sense, or to shift the most common hazards of any given round of Polaris to no longer be environmental hazards or simplemobs, requiring single-part surgery is sort of marrying the system to older paradigms of gameplay.

Belsima

Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:13 pm

Surgery is perhaps one of the most boring aspects of SS13, being a mechanic where you just sit there and click monotonously, change item, click, change target, click. Each time with a timer, and the other person being knocked out and unable to interact in any way. It's essentially the least fun thing I could imagine and making it take longer was a not-so-fun change.

Woodrat

Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:56 am

Was talked about at the staff meeting. Not certain of the details as I was away from the computer at the time of the discussion, but the general tone seemed to be that some folks wanted it for FBPs in particular since repair for them can be a pain, but more hesitant as a general surgery option.

ThoughtSynapsis

Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:43 pm

I have no personal qualms with Multi-surgery, I say go for it.

Wickedtemp

Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:48 pm

Given that it's:
- Fun
- Challenging compared to everything else you can do in surgery
- Doesn't really affect balance, since it'll reduce surgery-time by like 40 seconds if you do it perfectly, and that's pretty much it.
- It's rewarding when you pull it off.
- Adds an extra layer of mechanics to an honestly rather boring, monotonous role. Surgery is, from a mechanics standpoint, the easiest job in Medical. "Use the tools in the right order. The first three, and the last one, are always the same." -- This changes things up a bit.

Also while I don't really like to go "But x has this, why not us?", well.. Bay has multi-surgery. IIRC they removed it a bit and then re-added it. I'd kinda like for it to make a return here. It was one of those things you could do to add a little challenge and difficulty and if you succeeded, you'd get something out of it. It added a small difficulty curve where if your surgeon was more experienced, you'd get healed a little more quickly. As far as I can tell these are solely positive. While you could argue that it allows some patients to walk out of medbay after being in crit a little too quick, considering that the removal of this changes nothing except that the patient walks out around 50 or so seconds later, that isn't an issue with multi-surgery.

I know at least one person's going to go all slippery-slope and claim that if multi-surgery is re-added, it'll become the expected norm and people will salt at each other ICly and OOCly for not doing it. Outside of the couple people who throw salt around in LOOC for every little thing anyway, that's laughably untrue. It wasn't ever expected of a surgeon to do it during the two-or-so-year time period where it was possible, I doubt that'll change.

• Information