[POLL] Round canon-ness and you.

The place for ideas and feedback for all things community related.

Moderators: Game Moderators, Game Administrator, Developer

How should it be?

Everything is always canon.
12%
Nothing is ever canon unless all parties agree to it.
12%
Everything is always canon unless someone involved states it is not, at which point their involvement is retcon'd out but the others remain involved & canon.
71%
Everything is always canon unless someone involved states it is not, at which point the entire scene is considered non-canon.
6%

Total votes: 17
Red

Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:48 am

See title. See poll. Vote for one. Discuss or suggest options below.

It was brought up in a round that people really don't know when things are canon and when they are not. Historically, it has been when all parties involved agree. There was a reasonably popular opinion that "everything is automatically canon unless stated otherwise."

Note that this is not guaranteed to bring any changes to policy. This is more me curious what public opinion is.

Sunny!

Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:49 am

I'd like another option. "Everything is Canon unless antags are involved."

Red

Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:56 am

Sunny! wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:49 am
I'd like another option. "Everything is Canon unless antags are involved."
Above prompts pretty much fall under that assumption.

Again, just going to reiterate - This is not guaranteeing or promising any sort of change based upon results. I'm just curious what opinion is before any further suggestions are suggested, if needed.

InvisiblePinkUnicorn

Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:38 am

"Everything is always canon" and "nothing is canon until everyone agrees" seem like they would be incredibly dangerous to implement as policy.

With the former option, everyone who strongly invests in their characters plays in a restricted, overly-cautious, joyless manner, because what if they make a mistake or something bad happens and it permanently taints their character? You need to be able to consent out of certain mistakes or incidents or your character concept can be one fuck-up away from being ruined. If a security officer arrests you for something petty in Extended, does that need to go on your records now? Et cetera.

With the latter option, two players can't talk about a meeting they had last shift with a third party unless the third party is around to confirm that it is indeed canon. This places an undue burden on RP, because you can't assume that something "happened" just because it happened, as the default. It's less harmful than "everything is always canon", but I could still see it putting a severe damper on the server.

The other two options, "retcon non-consenting individuals" and "ignore the entire event if anyone revokes consent", I don't have a strong preference between. I voted for "retcon" solely because it's how I've understood the server to work until now, and it's worked out fine so far.

Wickedtemp

Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:11 am

This wouldn't really affect me regardless, since I don't really keep track of ingame stuff as being canon or not. Last time I attempted to, one person retconned several parts of the event in question and I never got the memo, the other guy had to LOOC "Oh that part didn't happen" several times, resulting in the conversation essentially stalling and starting over several times, each time I lost a little more interest in the whole thing... So now I just pretty much ignore it all entirely, with the exception of Huxley meeting a crew member, and that's worked decently thus far.

Prolly not gonna vote because I'm not invested in this, but it looks like one option is waaaaaay ahead anyway.

Anewbe

Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:53 am

As a disclaimer, we've already got policy on this topic, but until today I was unaware that it wasn't written down. I am correcting that issue presently, pending staff review.

EDIT See here: https://wiki.ss13polaris.com/index.php? ... Canonicity

Red

Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:42 am

Locking this. Ty for the comments/input. Reference Anewbe's above post.

• Information