Senior Crew Jobs

The place for ideas and feedback for all things community related.

Moderators: Game Moderators, Game Administrator, Developer

Woodrat

Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:04 am

Not to be confused for jobs for old people.

Something that was brought up at the last staff meeting. Senior staff positions in the different departments. Departments that would have the positions would be Engineering, Medical, Security.

Basic tasks of the jobs would be, to assist the command staff of their departments with the duties of managing and operating the department, taking over the department in the absence of command staff, and training new people in the department. Though it would vary from department to department

They would not be alt titles for existing roles (we don’t need 4 senior engineers). They would be new job positions that may or may not have alt titles, but only one slot. They will not get command access headsets, as their position is to help facilitate their own department, not to help facilitate coordination necessarily with other departments.

To be blunt, this has not been fully thought out, but some ideas include
Engineering:

Senior Engineer (Alt Title) – Access to both the engine and atmospherics. Second in command to the CE.

??? (Alt Title) – Not sure if there should be an atmospheric technician equivalent.

Security:

??? – No title yet (Security Sergeant doesn’t sound right). No extra access over a regular security officer. Authority in regards to potentially being the second in command to the HoS. Authority in regards to the Warden, unknown. In theory the warden is only supposed to be basically a security officer with extra duties in the brig and armory. But that has never been properly solidified.

Training Officer (Alt Title) – Junior Officers would be first assigned to them and their job would be to show new JO’s how to do the role. No extra access. No extra authority over the Warden.

Dispatcher (Alt Title) – Uncertain this is even needed. No Extra Access. No Extra authority over the Warden. Potentially not above anyone else in security in rank but would sit around manning cameras and directing officers to potential issues.

Medical:

Senior Physician – Medical Doctor with access to chemistry. Second in command to the CMO. Would prefer a different name, cannot think of one.

Nurse Manager (Alt Title) – Probably unneeded since we never have nurses.

Research:

Does not get a senior staff role as research is basically multiple tiny science departments in one large department.

Civilian:

See Above, research.
There are some potential flaws with this idea. But the reasoning for suggesting it is due to the amount of times where it has been seen that someone plays a character that for all intents and purposes is qualified for a command position in the department. However, for one reason or another they do not want to actually take the command slot. Or a department needs a small amount of more guidance, (an example being security with junior officers and having no one allotted to train them) or if command staff in general are unable for some reason to lead their departments for whatever reason.

Anyways, discuss, suggest, bash, as you will.

Kerbal22

Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:15 am

I like the idea of a Senior Engineer, but;
I don't know if it could work, as it's like being an engineer with the access of a CE but not the responsibility.

So, we can either make the SE an alt-title of Engineer and implement engineers having both atmos and engineering access - leaving the CE as a administrative position as one would expect.

or, we can just leave SE as a alt-title with different expectations.

I think most of these could just be alternate titles with different expectations.

Blue's Depression

Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:17 am

It sounds to me like they're just heads with less jurisdiction. There's plenty of routes one can go to obtaining access to extra areas if their job requires it as it is, we don't really need more. You don't need to be a command staff to offer guidance, just working as a team isn't that hard. And if the issue is command staff not being able to properly command, throwing *more* command staff isn't the solution. I'm strongly against this.

The very most I'd be willing to agree to is Senior __ as alt titles, but even then I'm wary. People might use an alt title to squeeze more authority out of their actual job.

Curt5

Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:24 am

Against this. It seems like it would be a role rarely filled, whose functions can be performed just fine by regular roles. Kinda like mini command staff, without the same responsibility. I don't see too much benefit- and I can imagine "Senior" anything using the title to try and boss people around, rather than coordinate a team.

Woodrat

Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:32 am

As noted.
They would not be alt titles for existing roles (we don’t need 4 senior engineers).

atermonera

Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:18 am

Atmos tech doesn't need a senior position, that's covered under the engi one and you don't generally need more than one or two (Engi's just hack in most of the time anyways if they need something in atmos).
Dispatcher sounds more like a warden alt title, esp if the role were to be implemented for sec, as then the warden would generally be even more of a desk job, afaict.
Kerbal22 wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:15 am
So, we can either make the SE an alt-title of Engineer and implement engineers having both atmos and engineering access
That's basically merging atmos techs into engineering, because there's not really a good mechanical reason (IC reasons aside, plenty of people put restrictions on themselves as a challenge or what have you) to not take the alt title with extended access. If you wanted to limit the availability of the title, it'd have to become a separate job, much like what happened with junior officers when they were first implemented as an assistant alt-title (A bunch of people took it and then complained when they couldn't play sec with their sec chars and it was a whole catastrophe)
Curt5 wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:24 am
Kinda like mini command staff, without the same responsibility. I don't see too much benefit- and I can imagine "Senior" anything using the title to try and boss people around, rather than coordinate a team.
That's... pretty much exactly the reason discussed to add them. Some people for whatever reason don't want all the responsibility of CMO or CE (And all the paperwork that ICly entails) but are more than qualified to supervise their department.
As for the title being used to boss people around rather than coordinate, well, we have (or at least have the possibility of having) the exact same problem with proper heads, where they could just delegate people among the different tasks and shirk any of the real work themselves. Depending on the position, they may be celebrated as very effective or shunned as incompetent for it.

Also, bossing people around is a form/style of coordination, just one with negative connotations. You're providing other people with instructions on how to see to all of the work they need to see to. If you do it in a manner where you could be perceived as bossy, you'll be perceived as bossy and suffer whatever IC fallout that may have.
Google wrote:co·or·di·nate
verb
kōˈôrdəˌnāt
bring the different elements of (a complex activity or organization) into a relationship that will ensure efficiency or harmony.

Kerbal22

Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:32 am

tbh i think atmos and engineering should be merged and atmos tech should just be an alt title.

Wickedtemp

Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:57 pm

I'd support this.

I play Huxley as CMO/Chemist, I love both roles, however due to my OOC schedule and the fact that I'm often pulled away from the game and rarely am I able to spend 2-3 hours without interruption, I have to settle for Chemist nine times out of ten, because that's a job I can do quickly and then AFK as needed, since once I stock Chemistry, it won't need a restock. If I go AFK for an hour as Chemist, it's fine as long as Chem is done. However, if I go AFK for an hour as CMO, that can throw a wrench in the round for some people.

One thing I'd add is that adding another role would require a slight change in departmental gear quantity. Webbing, HUD's, belts, stethoscopes, etc. May want to add 1 to each of these for Medical.

atermonera

Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:13 pm

Or reduce the number of regular slots normally available to maintain the current balance of max department pops

Wickedtemp

Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:54 am

atermonera wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:13 pm
Or reduce the number of regular slots normally available to maintain the current balance of max department pops
I think that makes the least amount of sense. Removing 1 job slot from which job?

The chemist has 2 slots, the lab has two workstations.
Psych has 1 slot, can't get rid of that.
The paramedic has 2 slots and there are two lockers of gear, along with 1 voidsuit and 1 hardsuit.
Doctors have 4 slots, which is actually rather balanced, given that the alt titles are extremely different.
Lastly, there's CMO, and of course, we aren't getting rid of that either.

On Medical's side of things, solving this is as simple as adding 1 belt, 1 HUD and 1 Stethoscope. Removing a job slot affects more than just the quantity of that job.

• Information