[Discussion] What do you want? Mark 2, Mechoid Boogaloo.

The place for ideas and feedback for all things community related.

Moderators: Game Moderators, Game Administrator, Developer

Mechoid

Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:59 pm

Hi! This time I am polling or, whatever this is, opinions on current and future server things. I considered making this thread later in the week, though the winds bring the scent of the sea and thus I am more inclined to get info fast rather than slow. I'd like to request people not get heated here, and try to stay level-headed.

I have had my own personal concerns regarding the server and I've had talks with people privately regarding them, so I will start below.

- A proper method of voting on features or other large decisions that can't be fudged for votes like strawpoll (I'm looking at you, mysterious 10-probably-2 people that voted the one gene-mod guy).
- Trying to get a recording bot, and trialing some meetings in Discord. We'd need a channel that is locked to move people into during meetings so if someone gets booted for like, screaming, they are functionally muted, and a text-channel with possibly slowmode.

Wickedtemp

Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:48 pm

Voting could possibly be handled by google forms or whatever relevant variant it'd be. Have voters list their ckey and discord in the form. Sure, you can have multiple discord accounts and multiple ckeys, but it's not as easy as it is with strawpoll where you can literally vote on however many devices you have access to.

mistyLuminescence

Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:17 pm

More involvement with the community in upcoming projects, especially major ones (e.g. skill system). Rather than making it behind closed doors and then presenting it to the playerbase, actively involve the community in the development process, looking for what kind of things people would like and dislike. Even doing "@everyone gib feedback on these ideas" would be better than nothing- but rather than creating a culture where changes are presented to the community like a chef delivering a meal of varied deliciousness, actively invite the patrons into the kitchen to help with the creative process. Anyone can come up with good ideas, after all.

ZekeSulastin

Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:28 pm

If we're doing discord bots, would it be possible to bring in a replacement for the IRC bot NanoTrasen_Inc with the features that got lost with the transition? (i.e. !notify, full manifest sent if PMd, etc)

or is this a "Zeke learn how to do it" type deal D:

Wickedtemp

Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:28 pm

mistyLuminescence wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:17 pm
More involvement with the community in upcoming projects, especially major ones (e.g. skill system). Rather than making it behind closed doors and then presenting it to the playerbase, actively involve the community in the development process, looking for what kind of things people would like and dislike. Even doing "@everyone gib feedback on these ideas" would be better than nothing- but rather than creating a culture where changes are presented to the community like a chef delivering a meal of varied deliciousness, actively invite the patrons into the kitchen to help with the creative process. Anyone can come up with good ideas, after all.
This. I want to get excited about new features, the skill system to name one, but like... I barely know anything about it. I don't know most of the plans behind it, I've no idea what to expect, and while I understand that when it comes to coding, devs definitely know better than I do, but when it comes to gameplay, especially job mechanics, it's always a good idea to involve experienced players who know the ins and outs of the roles when making changes that would affect those roles and how they're played.

MsRandylicious

Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:47 am

- Maybe we should review a rule or two for in game reasons. (Like the antag rule- if they're doing an antag thing no matter what, there's no issue, but now with frequent antag rounds it just looks like a LRP server. Is that just the direction we're going though?)

- Less focus on buffing/nerfing/removing things/adding dangerous shit for now, and more focus on gameplay, enjoyment and low pop fun. Even small things like adding new recipes, or mechs (some nice ones have been suggested, maybe some serious thought on adding them can be done rather than instant slap downs. We need more things to do.) or some silly paperwork for Heads to do that "ensures their department is in top form" (mainly spitballing here.) or something. Minor things that could better quiet rounds for folks.

- Adding to that, overall I think there needs to be a better focus on the low pop. Efforts going into bringing in new people or boosting the pop will work better once the low pop squad are maintained. If there's a steady lot of low numbers, eventually that can be watered and grown.

• Information