[Discussion] What do you want?

The place for ideas and feedback for all things community related.

Moderators: Game Moderators, Game Administrator, Developer

Woodrat

Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:46 pm

Open question to staff and players. As noticed last month, quite often there are plenty of folks on the discord interested in playing, or at the very least interested in doing !status updates.

However, the number of folks actually playing in rounds are rather small outside of event rounds.

Thus, the question, what would generate your interest in playing more often? What changes (policy or gameplay), additions, tweaks, and or etc. would make you more inclined to play a round or two?

mistyLuminescence

Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:09 am

>actually asking for player feedback
this is april fools isn't it

in all seriousness though, more of this thread right here- taking player feedback into account and sharing decision-making processes with The Masses would go along way towards making polaris snazzy again
this is a good thread and i support it fully

DasIrrlicht

Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:21 pm

Nobody is here? Must have been a bad idea to post this on the first...

Eh, I am not exactly the best person for this kind of post, but I have two small suggestions regarding empty rounds:
- If there is nobody online at the round end vote, end round.
- Raise the minimum-player amount of extended/secret/autotraitor to 1
So that for a round to go on, there would be at least one player be required.
But this might as well horribly backfire, so I will just let the idea stand in the room for now.

Samuel Heiner

Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:52 am

polaris is good and relaxing to me (the lack of players is uuuh for me tho),i really dont know what your devs choose for your code,but i would like more action.not turn polaris into cm,but,action like,the horror event we had once,which had rp and action.its just me tho.

emgee

Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:32 am

SO, TELL ME WHAT YOU WANT, WHAT YOU REALLY REALLY WANT?
I'LL TELL YOU WHAT I WANT, WHAT I REALLY REALLY WANTShow
No, but seriously. What Pol has right now is good. It channels all the good of the exodus-era bay with none of the flaws.
All I want is for more pop to be around when I'm awake. :v

bewawolf19

Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:06 pm

A thing I honestly think would be good is a remodel a bit of the station. I still think overall in lot of ways, it isn't...Visually interesting, and some large changes to it may do it well. Especially if it breaks up how everything is just 4 lines out of a circle. Of course, I come on the server most days so my opinion may not actually be the one wanted or needed.

Wickedtemp

Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:15 pm

I don't think there are too many things that could be changed outside of somehow magically getting a more consistent player population in the 30's. I don't play much anymore on this server either, generally I stick to a few servers downstream of Polaris, same code, and even though a couple of them are extended-only, there's still a bit of action thrown in, usually when Science screws up with slimes or artifacts. It's entertaining, it works, I have more freedom with the character setup, there are a lot of fancy toys that weren't merged here because it'd allegedly make antagging more difficult (like glasses that can bring up the suit sensors monitor). All of the HeadStaff are approachable and don't act as if they exist solely and utterly in a state of constant irritation, overall I'd say the entire staff roster is relatively friendly and I don't have to worry about them doing less than good things. It just has stuff that Polaris doesn't. And the things Polaris has that these servers don't, they can't even capitalize on them. The gamemodes. I don't think I've ever seen a merc round except maybe once here, and it was scheduled beforehand as an event. Many, many rounds fell flat due to, by sheer coincidence, every antag choosing a peaceful objective. We even had a calamity round where nobody even died until I think the last two minutes of the round, after the usual round vote, because the wizards were all healers, the ninjas were doing small pranks and wouldn't kill you if you told them a joke, the mercs turned into a merchant vessel with suspiciously highly equipped security, etc.

The antags here tended to be... squishy, generally easily caught and taken care of, their victims were easily saved, and it tended to be the same people playing antag consistently. I think its due to new players wanting to try it and older players having antag settings disabled, so it seemed like at times the only antags we would have for a while were players who really didn't know what they were doing.

With that said, despite getting newer players, others leave, so the population doesn't change a whole lot. What caused me to leave was the aforementioned bit about Heads/Staff -I can explain in greater detail in DM's if its something you think is worth talking about - and just, in general, other servers, even without gamemodes, had more to offer as a game. Including population.

ZekeSulastin

Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:08 pm

I'm in agreement with DasIrrlicht; it might help our population if we can increase round turnover as it's not such a great look to pop on and see an eight hour extended round with two people. Similarly, the default round type absent any votes (if you don't just have it so one vote is necessary) should probably be autotraitor to increase the chance of Something Happening (TM), or at least help the people looking for more antag rounds. Also, maybe have it so you cannot have back to back same round type?

Aside from that, non-combat/antag stuff would be great. I remember something about a ghostcatcher system for events and such, so add in random traders or an ambulance shuttle with someone bleeding out or something that needs to draw a bunch of power for x time or random VIP visits or what have you - things that make the station feel more alive and less isolated from the world at large that helps get different departments involved that also isn't "lol get rekt". It is similar to the department objectives idea but with an added sense of immediacy. (And, if you need an ~antag~ justification for it having more events floating around, especially visitors, would help counter meta to a degree or at least add plausibility)

I know there was a framework added for logic puzzles in PoIs, but those still involve the 50 different types of spiders or the space worm being worked on as I'm typing this (which is neat and all, but.) or what have you. If I want to deal with that I'll go play a different game and have a lot more fun doing it than I would here. It is nothing against you guys as developers, but it just isn't what I'm looking for and is why I am not really considering them as something non-combat/antag.

More lore-related events and such are nice too. Plenty of space opera to go around!

also i haven't had a computer able to run ss13 for three weeks now but i finally got my gpu back today
also add roll-down jumpskirts pls

psolus

Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:44 pm

i have no idea how easy this would be to implement, but *oh* how i have yearned for wigs. like, you can make your character bald or what have you but then loadout with a wig of one of the human hairstyles and it will cover up whatever hairstyle is underneath but you can take it off at will.

aimlessAnalyst

Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:13 am

I'd like less emphasis on nerfs and rebalances of things that maybe two people see an issue with-- and more emphasis on actually creating new content instead of nitpicking what we already have and trying to refactor and revalue everything every few months.

• Information